Criteria and guidance
How to achieve the Silver and Gold awards.Download the full list of award criteria and guidance – including examples of schools who are already transforming their food culture.
Food leadership and school food culture
- Our pupils all have the opportunity to sit down to lunch every day.
- Our take up of school meals is over 60% OR has increased by more than 20% since we enrolled with the Food for Life Partnership.
- We are working with our caterer to reduce and manage food waste.
Food quality and provenance (delivered in partnership with our caterer)
- Our school food meets the Gold standards of the Food for Life Catering Mark, which means we take great care that our food is healthy, ethical, uses lots of local ingredients and is animal and climate friendly. We use a minimum of 15% organic and 5% free range ingredients on our menus. Using the Food for Life Catering Mark Points Calculator our menus achieve at least 300 points:
- 100 points for sourcing ethical and environmentally friendly food
- 50 points for championing local food producers
- 50 points for making healthy eating easier
- 100 points from any of these categories
- We are committed to providing a minimum of 12 hours of cooking lessons a year by 2011 for all our pupils up to and including key stage 3.
- All our pupils have the opportunity to participate in organic food growing during their time at our school.
- We actively involve our pupils in planning the food growing calendar and maintaining the growing area using organic practices.
- Our pupils have the opportunity to take part in a programme of farm-based activities throughout the farming year.
Community and partnerships
- Our parents and/or the wider community are actively involved in growing and cooking activities in our school.
- Our parents can buy or collect organic and/or local produce at our school, or we direct them to alternative local outlets.
- Food and cooking education is available in our school to parents and community members out of school hours.
- We host regular visits about the Food for Life Partnership from other schools and stakeholders.