Following the success of the Soil Association’s national Out to Lunch Campaign, Calderdale’s Public Health team are the first to commission Out to Lunch on a local scale and the results are in!
With the help of 20 secret-diner parents, Out to Lunch can reveal that a number of Calderdale’s local independent restaurants, cafés and pubs are doing better than national restaurant chains when it comes to serving fresh and healthy food for children.
- Italian restaurant Prego, at The Waterfront Lodge Hotel in Brighouse, took the number one spot, outperforming chains in the national survey, including ASK Italian, Nando’s, Zizzi and Las Iguanas
- Restaurants and cafés including Park End Todmorden are offering a great range of meat-free options packed with veg.
However, this was not the case in every eatery involved:
- Only three of the 20 eateries surveyed serve a portion of veg with every children’s meal (The Old White Beare, Willow Tree Café, Frankie and Benny’s).
- Only four eateries include and promote fruit on their children’s pudding menus (Prego, Shibden Mill Inn, Frankie and Benny’s, Pizza Express).
- Only three eateries include some information about ingredient provenance on the menu and only two are celebrating their use of local Yorkshire produce by mentioning it on the menu.
Click here to read more about the Out to Lunch Calderdale campaign.
Click here to find the food hygiene rating for our top ten eateries.