Food for Life’s Grandparent Gardening Week is taking place between the 1st and 5th of April. Jeanette Orey, co-founder of Food for Life, encourages grandparents to get involved and shares a delicious recipe to feed those hungry mouths.
Schools across the country will be celebrating and saying thank you to all the people who volunteer week after week to show the children how to grow fruit and vegetables throughout the seasons.
Grandparent Gardening week gives the children a chance to show off their skills to their grandparents, as well as providing an opportunity for grandparents (who may spend lots of time on their own at home) to get outdoors, socialise and make new friends. It’s a win-win, that helps not only the younger generation gain valuable skills but brings the generations together.
You’ll need to refuel after all that hard graft in the garden, and what better way to bring your community closer than by sharing a delicious meal together. So, what are you waiting for? Sign up for Grandparent Gardening Week this year as you’ll never know who you will meet!!!!
Broccoli and Cauliflower bake recipe
- Pre heat oven 190ºC/375ºF/ Gas5.
- In a large saucepan of boiling water add the pasta and a little olive oil to stop the pasta-sticking cook until al- dente
- Wash and cut the broccoli and cauliflower into small florets, cook in boiling water making sure the vegetables are still firm.
- Make the sauce melt the margarine; add the flour and cook until sandy coloured add the milk whisking all the time when thickened add the cheese keeping a little back for the topping
- Mix the pasta, broccoli, cauliflower and cheese sauce put into deep tins sprinkle with a little grated cheese
- Bake in a hot oven until the cheese has melted
Ingredients for 8 portions
- Dried pasta, 450g (1l)
- Broccoli, 225g (8oz)
- Spring grown cauliflower, 225g (8oz)
- Olive oil
- Flour, 25g (1oz)
- Margarine, 25g (1 oz)
- Strong cheese, 225g (8oz)
- Milk, 600ml (1 pint)