Green Kitchen Standard
We've created the Green Kitchen Standard, which recognises caterers that are making positive steps to sustainably manage their energy, water and waste.
The Green Kitchen Standard reassures customers that you're going a step further to minimise environmental impact.
Caterers must prove their environmental credentials and provide a clear point of difference to set their service apart from the rest, which can mean cost savings as well as aligning with energy, water and waste requirements of the Defra Plan for Public Procurement and the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals.
• Provides comprehensive and credible reassurance to customers, staff and stakeholders
• Demonstrates a commitment to sustainable catering across a wide set of criteria
• Provides critical input to evaluating current operational and environmental practices
• Helps identify opportunities to improve operational efficiencies and reduce costs
• Supports compliance with procurement requirements and helps in tendering for new and existing contracts
• Offers an independent verification standard that aligns with Defra’s Balanced Scorecard
Meeting the standard
Points are awarded to caterers based on actions taken to reduce energy, water and waste. Some suggestions of ways to score points are:
|Energy, water or waste policy||Providing staff training||Having improvement targets in place||Providing free tap water||Working with suppliers to reduce energy, water or waste|
|Staff communications||Having energy or water-efficient equipment||Redesigning menu to minimise food waste loss||Maintaining equipment||Having a responsibility structure in place|
|Composting food waste||Engaging with landlord to install sub-metering||Calculating a carbon foodprint||Customer communication||Having a switch-off policy|
|Monitoring energy, water or waste||Environmentally conscious sourcing||Providing recycling bins for staff and customers||Applying the Government Buying Standards||Donating surplus food|
Interested in starting your sustainable catering journey? Get in touch today.